Pumpkin pancakes are quick and easy to make, taste like fall, and have a vegetable hiding in them which easily makes them a favorite breakfast recipe at my house.
- 2 cups all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ to 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup light oil such as vegetable, canola, or avocado oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Whisk together to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture with the whisk.
- Add the pumpkin puree, 1 ½ cups buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to the well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Use a whisk to slowly combine the batter.
- Stir just until the mixture comes together. If the batter is too thick, add up to an additional ½ cup of buttermilk as needed.
- Spray the baking pan or griddle with a little cooking spray or grease it with a little butter.
- Drop ¼ cup of batter in the center of the skillet or griddle.
- When the pancake starts to have bubbles on the top of it, flip it over to cook on the other side. It should cook on each side for roughly 1.5 to 2.5 minutes. Adjust the cooking temperature as needed.
- When the pancake is cooked through place it on a cooling rack set inside of a baking sheet and pop it in a 200 F. degree oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining pancakes. When you are placing them in the oven, don’t stack them on top of each other, just place them evenly on the cooling rack (when you stack them, they steam each other and get soggy).
- Serve the warm pancakes with your choice of toppings such as maple syrup or buttermilk syrup and whipped cream.
- No buttermilk? No problem! For each cup of buttermilk, you can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let rest for 5 minutes before using.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk pancake recipe, buttermilk pancakes, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin pancake recipe, fluffy pumpkin pancakes