Friends don’t let friends make bland pizza sauce. You are going to love this Basic Pizza Sauce made from crushed tomatoes and garlic. The ease and flavor of this sauce will kick up your pizza nights for sure!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon prechopped garlic)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 28 ounces
- In a small sauce pan cook the oil and garlic together over medium heat until the garlic starts to smell good, it'll only take a minute or so once the oil is hot.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until it thickens a bit, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper).
- Use on your favorite homemade pizzas, calzones, and more!
- If you don't need all of the pizza sauce for your pizza, simply store leftovers in a freezer container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Just thaw fully before using.
- This recipe makes roughly 3.5 cups of pizza sauce and that's the perfect amount for 3-4 large homemade pizzas depending on how much sauce you like.
- This recipes is obviously super basic and that's why it's awesome! It tastes great without being too complicated. That being said, if you have fresh herbs in the garden or want to add some dried herbs, by all mean add them to the sauce.
- I like to add additional dried herbs to the sauce when I add the tomatoes and I like to add fresh herbs to the sauce just a few minutes before I take it off the heat.
- Crushed tomatoes have a great texture and a fresh flavor (they're less cooked than tomato sauce and I feel like you can taste that difference).
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: side
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make pizza sauce, pizza sauce, pizza sauce recipe, homemade pizza sauce, easy pizza sauce, pizza sauce with canned tomatoes, pizza sauce with crushed tomatoes