Pico de Gallo is a fresh salsa made with ripe tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice and is the perfect addition to tacos, grilled meats, salads, or as a chip dip.
- 1.5 pounds Roma tomatoes, about 7-8 medium Romas
- 1 small white onion
- 2 jalapenos, seeds and stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- juice from 3 limes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- more salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the Roma tomatoes by cutting them in half long ways (stem end to blossom end). Use your fingers to gently press out any pulpy flesh and seeds from the inside of the tomatoes.
- After you have removed the seeds, you can chop them, the more uniform the better. For this recipe I really like using my simple food chopper for all of the vegetables.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the onion and the jalapenos and add them to the bowl.
- Mince the garlic very finely and add it along with the lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Stir well to combine. Give it a taste and adjust the lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite tacos, salads, or with chips.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- This recipe is a great recipe to make "to taste". Love cilantro? Add more if you'd like. Want it to be spicier? Add more jalapenos or don't remove the seeds. Play with it to suite your preferences.
- If I'm serving this with tortilla chips, I'll adjust the salt and pepper after I have tasted it on a chip. If I'm serving this with taco salad or Carne Asada tacos, I'll taste it on piece of lettuce. I generally add a little more salt when I'm serving it on a salad or tacos compared to when I'm serving it with chips as the chips already have some salt to them.
- I used my favorite food chopper to make cutting all the vegetables easier and I love how even it makes everything.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: side
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pico de gallo, pico de gallo recipe, how to make pico de gallo, easy pico de gallo recipe