This is THE Perfect Pumpkin Bread recipe made with or without chocolate chips. It’s sweet and moist, but never gummy. You’ll make it over and over again.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 cup canola, vegetable, or melted coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water or buttermilk
- 1 to 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans well, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, add the pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and water or buttermilk. Stir well to combine.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture just comes together.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two prepared pans and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes, then run a knife between the edge of the bread and the loaf pan. Remove from the pans and finish cooling on wire racks.
- You can reduce the sugar to 2 1/2 cups for a less sweet bread without any ill effects.
- You can use the oil of your choosing or substitute some of the oil for applesauce with great success. Half cup applesauce and a half cup oil works just great.
- This bread freezes very well. Let the bread cook completely, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze for up to two months. Remove from freezer and let thaw at room temperature before slicing and serving.
- You can use half the batter in a load without chocolate chips, add a cup of chocolate chips to the remaining batter, and then place it in the pan. It’s very easy to make one loaf with chocolate chips and one loaf without.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin bread recipe, baking with pumpkin, pumpkin chocolate recipe, pumpkin chocolate chip recipe