This Perfect Pie Crust (made with shortening and butter) comes together with just a few ingredients, one of which may just surprise you: vinegar.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening (you can also use half shortening and half butter)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough milk to make 1/2 cup
- In a medium bowl, cut shortening into flour until it resembles fine crumbles, with pieces no bigger than a pea.
- Make a well in the center, and add milk-vinegar mixture.
- Stir just until the dough forms a ball.
- Use for your favorite pie.
- Makes one very thick pie crust for top and bottom of a 9-inch pie.
The vinegar is the secret here. Instead of helping the shortening stick to the flour, it almost repels the two, making the flakiest of flaky crusts.
- Recipe from my friend, David Hunt.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pie, pie crust, apple pie, baking, dessert, recipe