The BEST peanut butter cookies ever! This easy recipe makes dense, soft & perfectly chewy peanut butter cookies you’ll make over and over again.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar or sparkling sugar for coating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl (a hand mixer works well for this too), add the butter and peanut butter and beat to combine well.
- Add the brown sugar and the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix together until well combined.
- Place the extra 3 tablespoons or granulated or sparkling sugar in a small bowl.
- Scoop a generous tablespoon of dough into your hand and roll into a ball. Add the ball to the bowl of sugar and gently roll it in the sugar to lightly coat the dough with extra sugar.
- Place the prepared ball on the baking sheet, repeat with remaining dough, leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Gently press the the cookies down with the bottom of a glass cup. Don’t get too crazy, just press the puffy centers down so that the cookies are evenly thick.
- Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to finish cooling on a wire wrack.
- Let the cookies cool completely before storing. Eat warm or at room temperature.
- Store extra cookies in an air-tight container for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Pressing the cookies down after the come out of the oven is magical. You’ll love that step.
- I tried this recipe with both traditional peanut butter and natural peanut butter. They both worked well though the cookies made with natural peanut butter seemed to crack along the edges when you pressed them down after baking. The cookie was also a bit drier. Not a huge deal but something to be noted.
- I love the texture and look of extra chubby sparkling sugar on these cookies. I love this big bag of Bob’s Red Mill sparkling sugar for baking.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookie dough, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter, easy peanut butter cookies, best peanut butter cookies, chewy cookies, easy cookies recipe