Ever wonder how to get perfectly flaky grilled fish on the grill? This recipe is the simplest and best way to grill just about any firm white fish!
- 1 firm white fish, I used Louisiana Drum (about 4 large fillets)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality olive oil, about ½ cup
- Additional coarse sea salt
- 1 or 2 lemons cut into wedges
- ½ cup chopped parsley, optional
- Rinse the fish and lay it onto paper towels. Use the paper towels to pat the fish dry and place the fillets on a wire rack (a baking or cooling rack placed inside of a baking sheet works great to catch any drips and spills).
- Sprinkle half the salt and half the pepper over the fish. Carefully drizzle half of the olive oil over the seasoned fish. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, evenly distribute the oil all over that side of the fish. Flip the fish over on the rack and repeat with remaining salt, pepper, and oil. Let the fish rest and marinade while you fire up the grill.
- Turn your grill on to high and allow it to heat for 5 to 10 minutes until the grill is very hot. Carry the fish out and open the lid to the grill, it should be very hot. Use a brush to scrap the grill grate clean and then lower the temperature to low. Place the fish on the grill, close the lid, and leave the fish to cook with the lid closed, without turning for 7 to 10 minutes (chances are really good your fish will be done right at 7 minutes unless it is very thick, check it 7 minutes!).
- The fish should be white and flakey when you test it with the end of a paring knife. Using a metal spatula remove from the grill.
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt and lemon juice before serving and then serve with additional lemon slices and chopped parsley to suit individual tastes (the first squeeze of lemon isn’t optional, it makes it amazing, but additional lemon and parsley are up to you or your guests. I didn’t feel like this tasty dish needed anything extra because it was excellent as it was).
- You can use this cooking method for just about any firm white fish such as catfish, tilapia, pollock, and cod.
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fish fillets recipe, easy grilled fish recipe, easy fish recipe, white fish recipe