This pecan sandies cookie recipe makes tender shortbread cookies fill with lots of pecan bits. It's buttery and just the right amount of sweet and the texture is my favorite.
- 12 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup very finely chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using your stand mixer or an electric mixer, beat together to butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, salt, cinnamon, flour, chopped pecans, and vanilla to the bowl.
- Mix until fully and well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. (If you chill the dough longer than 30 minutes, you might need to let it stand at room temperature for 10 or so minute before rolling the dough into balls to make it a little easier to handle.)
- By hand, firmly form dough into 1-inch balls. Dough will be a bit crumbly so take time to press it together well to hold shape. The heat of your hands will help the dough come together.
- Place the dough balls on a parchment or baking mat lined baking sheets about 2-inches apart. Using a flat bottom glass, gently flatten balls to about 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes before removing to a cooling wrack.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Let the cookies cool completely before enjoying.
- Take the time to chop the pecans very finely, too large of pieces and the texture isn't as good and the cookies don't stay together as well.
- Walnuts are a good substitution for pecans if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pecan sandies, pecan sandies cookies, pecan sandie cookies, pecan sadies recipe, pecan sandies cookie recipe, how to make pecan sandies, how to make pecan sandies cookies