Perfectly equal parts chewy, crusty, and soft, these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Bars are one of the best chocolate-peanut butter cookie desserts around. This simple dessert recipe, made with chocolate chips, is prepared in only 30 minutes!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned or rolled oats
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening, butter, and sugars.
- Add peanut butter, and combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing to combine.
- Add all of the dry ingredients, and mix until incorporated.
- In a small saucepan or a double boiler, combine chocolate chips, milk, and butter. Heat on medium-low, until just melted.
- Put 2/3 of the cookie mixture in the bottom of a greased large sheet pan or cookie sheet (you know, jelly-roll sized). Press down evenly with your hands.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the crust. Break up and sprinkle the remaining cooking mixture evenly over the top of the chocolate.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350 degrees F.) for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cookie top turns a light golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting.
- I bet that you could half this recipe and put it in a 9-by-13-inch pan, but then what would you do with the other half a can of sweet milk? Just make the whole thing and love it!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal cookie bars, oatmeal cookie bar recipe, how to make oatmeal cookie bars, peanut butter oatmeal cookie bars, how to make peanut butter oatmeal bars, peanut butter cookie bar recipe, peanut butter chocolate oatmeal bar, cookie bar dessert recipe, easy dessert recipe