This One-Pot Sausage, Rice, and Peas recipe is an easy dinner idea that the whole family will love. Plus it takes less than 30 minutes to make!
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 14-16 ounce smoked sausage (or kielbasa), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, if needed
- 8 ounces frozen peas, about 1 1/2 cups
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a large, deep-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage starts to brown and sear. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, rice, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, maintaining a simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook for 18-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and add salt to taste. Stir in the peas, green onions, and parsley. Let the mixture rest for a few minutes before serving to heat the peas.
The amount of salt needed is going to depend on the type of broth you used, so taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
If you don't have jasmine rice you can use any long grain white rice. I don't recommend trying this with brown rice since it takes a long time to cook on the stove top and I'm not sure how much liquid you would need.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice recipe, rice dinner recipe, easy dinner idea, quick dinner idea, healthy dinner, weeknight dinner