One Pan Chicken Enchilada Casserole is made on the stove top with ground chicken, enchilada sauce, veggies, and tortillas in less than 30 minutes. This hearty Mexican recipe is so filling, and so great for a busy evening.
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can red enchilada sauce, 10 ounces or about 1 cup Easy Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas, cut in half and then cut into 1 inch wide strips
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Optional salsa, black olives, or guacamole for serving
- In a large 12-inch skillet, cook the ground chicken until no longer pink. Add the cumin and oregano and stir well.
- Add the enchilada sauce, salsa, water, black beans, and sliced zucchini and simmer over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the tortilla strips and stir well to combine. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and place a lid over the pan to melt the cheese.
- Remove from the heat and top with sour cream and other optional toppings as desired. Serve right away.
- You can use other ground meats in this dish like hamburger or ground turkey. They all work well.
- I've tried this with both flour and corn tortillas and we like them both. The flour tortillas hold up well but can overcook quickly (and get a bit soggy). The corn tortillas have a great texture but can break apart more easily. Use what you have on hand and see what you prefer.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: enchilada casserole recipe, one pan enchilada recipe, one pan recipes, enchilada recipe, easy enchilada recipe, mexican dinner recipes, easy enchilada casserole recipe