This easy recipe for Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies is a favorite. Soft, chewy, lightly spiced cookies that are perfect for gift giving and holiday baking.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the molasses and egg and beat well.
- Add the flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and cloves and stir to combine well. Scoop one tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball with you hands. Roll the ball in additional sugar and place is on the baking sheet. Repeat leaving about 2 inches in between each dough ball. Using the bottom of a measuring cup lightly flatten each ball.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack and enjoy with lots of milk. Store leftovers in an air-tight container.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: molasses cookies recipe, old fashioned cookie recipe, easy cookies for holiday baking