Old fashioned molasses cookies are the best. Soft, chewy, lightly spiced, and pretty. This recipe is a lot of fun to make, eat, and give. Not only are you getting a great old recipe from me today, but it’s the 12th of December. That means 12 bloggers, 12 recipes, 12 ingredients or less! All of us have teamed up to make holiday party treats. The list looks amazing, and you can find everything from homemade mallows to shortbread cookies and mixed nuts to fudge recipes.
Enjoy all of the other recipes at the end of the post and happy holiday baking this weekend!
Craving more? Subscribe to Bless this Mess to get new recipes, meal plans, and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! If you try these molasses cookies, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #blessthismesseat on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
Old Fashioned Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the molasses and egg and beat well.
- Add the flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and cloves and stir to combine well. Scoop one tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball with you hands. Roll the ball in additional sugar and place is on the baking sheet. Repeat leaving about 2 inches in between each dough ball. Using the bottom of a measuring cup lightly flatten each ball.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack and enjoy with lots of milk. Store leftovers in an air-tight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from Land-o-Lakes blog.
11 more holiday recipe to brighten your day!
- Vanilla Mixed Nuts with Cranberries from BetsyLife
- Peppermint Marshmallows from Home Cooking Memories
- Rum Spiced Walnuts from I Love My Disorganized Life
- White Chocolate Chip Cherry Shortbread Cookies from The Rebel Chick
- Easy Peppermint Bark from Million Moments
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge from A Night Owl
- Peppermint S’mores from Mom Endeavors
- Brown Sugar Caramels from Stephie Cooks
- Gingerbread Cupcakes from See Vanessa Craft
- Cranberry Orange Fudge from Around My Family Table
- Cinnamon Sugar Cheesecake Bombs from White Lights on Wednesday
Participating in this monthly has been a lot of fun for me. I hope you loved it too! Have a great weekend.
And do tell, what great plans do you have this weekend? Any baking on your list?