No-bake Scotcheroos combine the delightful flavors of butterscotch, chocolate, and peanut butter with the perfect amount of crunch from crispy rice cereal.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups butterscotch chips, divided
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate both work great)
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil or parchment paper, and generously grease with butter.
- In a large pan, combine the corn syrup, sugar, and butter over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and everything is combined.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high, and stir constantly. When the mixture starts to gently bubble (don’t bring it to a full boil), remove it from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, salt, and 1/4 cup of butterscotch chips.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the cereal, and mix to combine well.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Press down to pack the mixture evenly into the pan (I like to use the greased bottom of a measuring cup to press it into the pan).
- Prepare your chocolate topping by combining the remaining cup of butterscotch chips and the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until the mixture is completely melted.
- Spread the melted butterscotch-chocolate mixture over the prepared Scotcharoos.
- Allow the chocolate to set (about an hour) before cutting into bars and serving.
- You can sub the corn syrup for 2/3 cup of honey if you prefer.
- If you are feeling fancy, you can melt the butterscotch and the chocolate chips separately. Add the chocolate chips in an even layer, and spread the mixture around. Then, spoon the butterscotch chips unevenly over the top. Use a toothpick to swirl the two together; it makes a pretty marbled effect!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice krispie treat, scotcheroos, scotcheroos recipe, chocolate scotcheroos, how to make scotcheroos, best scotcheroos recipe