Cheese is the way to my heart. And then add a tiny kick of spice and melt it? I’m head over heels. This Nacho Cheese Sauce is everything you could want in a cheesy condiment, and it’s a breeze to make.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- hot sauce, optional
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle the cornstarch on top, and whisk to combine. Let the butter mixture cook for 30 seconds while stirring.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, and continue whisking until well combined and hot.
- Add the cream cheese, and stir until melted.
- Add the cheddar, and stir until melted.
- Take the pan off of the heat, and stir in the paprika and chili powder.
- Add hot sauce, a teaspoon at a time, until it reaches your preferred level of spiciness, optional.
- Serve while still hot over nachos, on steamed veggies, with oven fries, or dip bread sticks in it.
- Shredding your own cheese from a block creates a smoother texture. The pre-grated kind seems to have some anti-caking agents that gum up the nacho cheese sauce a bit.
- Category: condiment
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheese sauce, homemade nacho cheese, nacho cheese