These Easter Sugar Cookies are the perfect to make on a spring day with your little ones. Moist, thick and chewy sugar cookies that are easy to cut into all sorts of shapes and decorate with frosting!
- 1 cup shortening (I use butter flavored)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Festive cookie cutters (you can use eggs, chicks, butterflies, or flowers)
- Store-bought or homemade frosting (this is my favorite sugar cookie frosting)
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Next, add the baking soda, baking powder, flour, salt, and nutmeg if using, and mix all together. The dough should be tacky without being sticky; adjust the flour as needed until you have a workable dough.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (and up to 2 days).
- Working with ¼ of the dough at a time, roll it out on a well-floured surface to ¼- to ½-inch thick. Be generous with your flour on the rolling surface since the dough is very tender; it will stick easily.
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes, and transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough, gathering and re-rolling the scrap dough as you go along.
- Decorate cooled cookies with icing and sprinkles; the messier the better.
- This is my favorite frosting for sugar cookies if you need a recipe to go with this one.
- I don’t use shortening for a lot of recipes (this and My Favorite Pie Crust Recipe are about the only ones that I use it in), but it helps the cookies keep their shape and the end result is so much nicer. I figure if you’re just eating stuff like that a few times a year, it’ll balance itself out.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easter cookies, Easter Sugar Cookies, spring sugar cookies, chewy sugar cookies, cut out sugar cookies