These are the best jumbo dinner rolls that my mom has been making for years. The dough is extra soft and tender thanks to the addition of butter, milk, and eggs! So tasty!
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 6.5 to 7.5 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat the milk and butter together in the microwave to scald the milk and melt the butter, 2 to 3 minutes. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk/butter mixture, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Let yeast rest for 5 minutes.
- Add half the flour, and mix for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms. The dough should be soft and elastic, but not sticky. Knead with your mixer or by hand for 5 minutes.
- Let the dough rise in a greased bowl for 30 minutes.
- After rising time has passed, divide the dough into 32 pieces. Roll each piece into a round roll, and place it on a greased, rimmed baking sheet.
- Once all the dough is shaped, cover the rolls, and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Once the rolls have at least doubled in size, bake at 400 degrees F. for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the tops are nice and golden.
- Remove from the oven, and butter the tops of the rolls while still hot. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- I make this recipe using butter, but my mom often makes it using margarine. It works just great with either one.
- If I’m not serving the rolls right away, I like to remove them from the pan to cool about 15 minutes after they come out of the oven so that the bottoms don’t get steamy and soggy.
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dinner rolls recipe, best dinner rolls recipe, easy dinner rolls, best dinner rolls, homemade dinner rolls, homemade rolls, easy side dish, side dish recipe, best side dish