I’ll show you how to create the most delicious Shredded Meat for Any Recipe in the Slow Cooker (beef, pork, lamb, elk). This shredded meat tutorial is helpful for any meat-based recipe from pulled pork sandwiches to shepherd’s pie.
- 4–5 pounds of bone-in meat (see post for more details on cuts) or 3-4 pounds boneless
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl combine all of the spices. Rub the spices all over the meat. Add the meat to the slow cooker. Slow cook on LOW until the meat is very tender and falling apart, 8-12 hours.
- Before you are ready to serve, remove the meat from the slow cooker and set it in a bowl or a rimmed baking sheet (it’s juicy, so just a plate sometimes makes a mess). Then pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a clear container (like a big mason jar or a large glass measuring cup).
- Shred the meat using two forks. Remove anything you don’t want to eat (bones, fat, gristle), and return the shredded meat to the slow cooker.
- Use a spoon to remove most of the fat from the liquid you have in the glass container (the fat will be floating on the top by the time you have shredded the meat). Add enough liquid back to the slow cooker so that the meat looks moist and there’s a little on the bottom of the slow cooker (this might be all of the liquid and it might just be part, you aren’t going to ruin it, just play it by ear). Taste the meat and add enough salt so that it tastes a little salty. You don’t want it to be too salty, but you want to taste the salt if that makes sense. Salt is going to heighten the flavor in the meat that already exists so don’t under salt. Stir well and add a little more liquid if needed. Serve hot.
- I like to keep the reserved liquid if I have any left to use when reheating the meat later.
- Extra meat can be used in all kinds of recipe or store in the freezer for later use.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Slow Cooker recipes, Easy Meals, Shredded Meat recipes, slow cooker shredded meat recipes, how to make the best shredded meat, how to cook shredded meat, how to make the best pulled pork, pulled pork recipes