This Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe has no added sugar and still tastes like a dream! It's super soft, moist, flavorful and delicious!
- 1 3/4 cps all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sucanat
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped fine
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add the pumpkin, spices, and salt. Stirring constantly, cook the mixture over medium heat until the pumpkin is reduced to 3/4 of a cup, about 6-8 minutes. Take the pumpkin mixture off the heat and stir in the Sucanat, oil, and cream cheese. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes and then whisk until the mixture is smooth and there's no lumps of cream cheese left.
- Whisk in the eggs and buttermilk. Fold in the flour mixture using a rubber spatula until the mixture is just combined (don't over mix), and then fold in the nuts.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let the bread cool in the pan for 20 minutes then transfer it to a wire rack and let it cool for at least 1 1/2 hours before serving.
To replace the Sucanat with coconut sugar use 3/4 of a cup of coconut sugar. The bread will taste similar but will be slightly darker in color.
To replace the Sucanat with granulated sugar use 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. The bread will taste slightly less sweet and more mild.
Sugar went from 24 grams of sugar per serving before to 11 grams of sugar per serving in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: pumpkin bread recipe, healthy pumpkin bread recipe, healthy pumpkin bread, best pumpkin bread, best pumpkin bread recipe, easy pumpkin bread recipe, easy pumpkin bread, how to make pumpkin bread