This easy margherita pizza recipe is made of a simple homemade pizza dough with fresh tomato, mozzarella, and basil for a fun and casual meal you can make at home.
For the crust:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups flour (more or less for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil to coat the bowl
To top the pizza:
- Good olive oil
- Fresh mozzarella, about 8 ounces
- Thinly sliced fresh tomatoes, about 2 medium
- Fresh basil, about 1/4 cup or 2 stems
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling, optional
- In a small bowl, stir the yeast and 1/4 cup water together, and let it sit until yeast starts to bubble.
- In mixer, mix 2 cups flour and the salt.
- Pour in dissolved yeast and remainder of water, and mix until dough pulls together.
- Switch to dough hook, and add 1 cup flour. When the dough does not stick to your fingers, form a ball and place in an oil coated bowl, turning it to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rise for 2-plus hours. Punch dough down, and let it relax 10 minutes.
- Roll and stretch firmly to desired shape and thickness (1/4 inch is good), and place on a greased baking sheet
- Brush the top with good olive oil. Top with sliced mozzarella, then sliced tomatoes.
- Bake in a 450 degree F. oven until the top is brown and bubbly, and the crust is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with sliced basil, and enjoy hot.
- You can drizzle it with a bit of balsamic glaze before serving if you like.
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pizza Margherita Recipe, homemade pizza dough, basil