Filling, nutritious, and flavorful, Instant Pot ground turkey and lentil taco filling is a great high-protein alternative to traditional taco meat!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pound dried brown lentils
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Select “saute/browning” on the Instant Pot, and add the oil to the pot. When the oil is hot, add the turkey and onion. Cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the taco seasoning, broth, and lentils.
- Add the lid and select high pressure with a 6-minute cook time. When the cook time finishes, allow it to natural pressure release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, manually release any remaining pressure.
- When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot like you would other taco filling.
- You can substitute beef or chicken in this recipe if you’d like.
- Brown lentils work great for this recipe because some get soft, some keep their texture, and it’s a great middle ground.
- This recipe freezes great. I froze small portions so that I could pull it out for easy taco salad lunches for myself.
- You can make this recipe on the stove top by cooking the turkey and onions in the oil until cooked through. Add the garlic, taco seasoning, broth, and lentils. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Adjust salt to taste, and serve hot.
- I don’t feel like this lasts great in the fridge, lentils seem to get funky fast, use it or freeze within 3 days.
- Category: dinner
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy, instant pot, turkey, taco, taco meat, lentils