The easy guide for how to cook a whole butternut squash in the Instant Pot for the best fuss-free squash you can make.
- 1 medium butternut squash (3–4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- steamer basket/trivet for your Instant Pot
- Prepare your squash by washing off the outside well and breaking of the stem (if you can – the stem isn’t really going to hurt anything if you can’t get it off). Prick the outside 4-5 times with the tip of a knife or the tines of a fork.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet inside your Instant Pot and set the squash in or on the basket/trivet.
- Add one cup of water to your Instant Pot.
- Close your lid, set the valve to sealing, press manual (high pressure), and set your time for 25 minutes. Let your Instant Pot natural pressure release for 10 minutes after the cook time is up. Release the rest of the pressure and carefully open the lid.
- Let the squash cool enough to handle and then remove it from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board.
- Cut the squash in half from stem top to blossom end. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and discard (or feed to your chickens or roast them up like you do pumpkin seeds).
- Use a spoon to scoop out the soft flesh from the skin and use as you like or eat it as it is with a little salt, pepper, and butter.
- When buying butternut squash, be sure to get squash that are firm and blemish-free (no nicks or bruises). They’ll store a few weeks (even months) so feel free to stock up when they go on sale and are in season (late summer-fall).
- All you need to do is wash off the outside of the squash and poke it a few times (for the steam to release). No messing with a knife, no need to cut in half, no scraping out the insides. So easy!
- If your squash is too big to fit in your pot, feel free to cut in in half (separate the top skinny part from the bulby end) and place it as in your Instant Pot. Reduce the cook time to 20 minutes.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot butternut squash, how to cook butternut squash, easy butternut squash recipe, how to cook a whole butternut squash