Quick and easy guide on how to cook butternut squash in the oven. This is an easy butternut squash recipe that looks great and tastes even better![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="fhW41Kct" upload-date="2018-04-04T18:37:14.000Z" name="how to roast butternut squash" description="how to roast butternut squash" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 1 medium to large butternut squash
- 3–4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
- About ¼ cup water
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse off the outside of your squash and then cut it in half from top to bottom. Scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle the inside of both pieces of squash with olive oil and give it a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place the squash on the prepared pan, cut side down, and add the water to the bottom of the pan. (Just pour it around the squash). Place in the hot oven.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until the squash is easily pierced with a fork or the tip of a knife.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then scoop flesh from the skin.
- You can serve the squash as is, scooped straight from the skin with a little salt to taste. You can add it to a bowl and mash it with a little butter and a bit of brown sugar, or you can use it like you would any potato, sweet potato, or pumpkin in recipes.
- Parchment paper makes cleaning this up a breeze. I highly recommend it. Or you could use a nonstick baking mat, though you’ll have a little more scrubbing to do.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American