A simple guide on how to make homemade noodles with just a few simple ingredients – just like my grandma makes them.
- 1 1/2– 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Additional flour as needed
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour and salt. Use a fork to combine.
- Add the eggs and milk to the bowl. Use your fork to stir and combine well.
- When the dough starts to come together, turn it out onto a well-floured surface and knead lightly to form a smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 or 6 parts and roll with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife or a pizza wheel to cut the thin dough into noodles, making them the size you prefer. Instead of rolling by hand, you can use a pasta roller to roll and cut your dough (my grandma made so many homemade noodles that she got a pasta roller at some point and used it for years).
- You can cook the noodles right away (for about 3 minutes in hot boiling water or broth if making soup) or you can let them dry overnight and then bag and store them in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- This recipe is really easy to scale up if you’d like to make more noodles. I normally triple the recipe and eat half the same day and save the other half in the freezer for a second meal later.
- If your dough is pulling back and trying to keep its shape when you try to roll it out, let it rest another 10 minutes.
- If your dough is very sticky, add more flour.
- If your dough is very dry, put it back in the bowl and mix in additional milk or egg until it’s workable.
- This is a great recipe to make with kids. Mine love to use mini cookie cutters to make noodle shapes which we just cook up and serve with a simple pasta sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: noodle, pasta, eggs, homemade, how to make noodles, homemade noodles recipe, easy noodles recipe