Directions on How to Cook Potatoes in the oven including oven temperatures, times, and how to do it with and without foil. This baked potato recipe is so simple, and provides the best side dish to a chicken or steak dinner!
- 4 russet baking potatoes
- 2–4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Additional toppings to your liking
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Wash and scrub your potatoes clean. Poke each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to release while cooking.
- Place potatoes directly on a baking rack set inside a baking sheet and place them in the oven.
- Bake until the center of the potato reaches between 205 and 212 degrees. This will be roughly 40-60 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Remove from the oven and use a pastry brush to coat each potato in a thin coat of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and then flip them over and brush the other side with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the potatoes for an additional 10 minutes to crisp the skin.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, cut a small X on the top of each potato and then using two hands (be careful, they are hot), gently press the potatoes inward so that they “bloom” from the X.
- Enjoy right away with your favorite toppings.
- Medium to small potatoes will take around 40-45 minutes to bake.
- I have also oiled up my potato from the start and then let it cook. My
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American