Tips and tricks you need to know so that you can cook crispy bacon in a cast iron skillet any day of the week. Delicious, crispy bacon in minutes!
- 4-6 strips thick cut bacon
- large cast iron skillet
- Lay the bacon in the cold cast iron pan so that the bacon isn't touching.
- Place the pan over medium heat.
- Let the bacon slowly heat and cook as the pan heats for about 10 minutes. The edges should start to show a little color and there should be a layer of rendered grease on the bottom of the pan before turning it over.
- Turn the bacon over and increase the heat to medium-high. Let the bacon cook until crisp on that side, about 4 minutes.
- Turn the bacon one more time to finish crisping on the the first side, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan as soon as it is as crispy as you like it. Let it drain on paper towels before eating hot.
- The key to getting flat, crispy bacon is letting the pan and bacon heat together.
- Don't over crowd the pan; the bacon should not be touching.
- By cooking it at a lower temperature first, some of the grease will be released making it easier to crisp up the bacon at a higher temperature in the grease; it's how "frying bacon" got its name. You are literally cooking the bacon in its own grease. So delicious.
- Even if you take the pan off the heat, the residual heat from the pan will continue to cook the bacon. So remove the bacon from the pan when it's done; don't just pull the pan off the heat.
- That hot greasy pan is the perfect place to then fry a super tasty egg.
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bacon, how to cook bacon, cast iron, best way to cook bacon, easy bacon recipe, how to make crispy bacon