If you're wondering how to bake a potato, this post is exactly what you need! This is your ultimate guide to making a perfectly baked potato with a fluffy center & a crispy skin.
- 4 Potatoes (about 5-8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and scrub your potatoes clean. Poke each potato with a fork a few times to allow steam to release while cooking.
- Place potatoes directly on a baking rack set inside a baking sheet and place them in the oven.
- Bake until the center of the potato reaches between 205 and 212 degrees. This will be roughly 35-45 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Remove from the oven and use a pastry brush to coat each potato in a thin coat of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and then flip them over and brush the other side with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the potatoes for an additional 10 minutes to crisp the skin.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, cut a small X on the top of each potato and then using two hands (be careful, they are hot), gently press the potatoes inward so that they "bloom" from the X.
- Enjoy right away with your favorite toppings.
- These were medium sized potatoes that came in a 10 pound bag. If you are using the large "baking" potatoes, be sure to add at least a half an hour, if not more, to the cooking time.
- Table salt, kosher salt, and sea salt (fine to coarse) all work well here. I like a mix of fine and coarse sea salt on the outside.
- Not committed to putting the tater directly on a oven rack? Stick a wire baking wrack inside of a rimmed baking sheet and let the potatoes cook on the rack. Last option, line a baking sheet with foil and bake on the baking sheet.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how long to bake a potato, how to bake a potato, easy baked potatoes recipe, temperature for baked potatoes, how long do I bake a potato, baked potato time and temp, best baked potato recipe, perfect baked potato