Homemade Supreme Pizza recipe made from homemade pizza dough, cheese, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and other toppings. This healthy and delicious dinner is a family favorite.
For the pizza dough
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
For the Pizza
- 1 cup pizza sauce, see post for a super simple recipe
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled sausage
- 10–15 slices of pepperoni
- fresh basil
- In a large mixing bowl, add the water, yeast, sugar, salt, and olive oil. Allow mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add one cup of flour, and mix to combine. Mix by hand for 1 or 2 minutes. The dough should be the consistency of cake batter.
- Add another cup of flour and mix until well combined. Add flour in small increments until you can’t mix it by hand very well.
- Sprinkle some flour on your table and turn the dough onto the table. Knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed. This should take 6 to 10 minutes of kneading. You can also do this part in a stand mixer if you have one.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 15 to 60 minutes (This time varies a lot for me – I just let it rise according to how long it is until dinnertime).
To make the pizza
- While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 500 degrees. If you have a baking stone, put it in the oven to heat, too. I would recommend using a stone for baking this pizza. If you don’t have a stone, you can turn your biggest cookie sheet upside down (so that the flat side is up) or use a rimless sheet. If you are using a stone let the stone heat for 30 minutes. If using a baking sheet, let it heat for 10 minutes.
- When the oven is hot, turn your dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough (on top of the parchment paper) into a 12 to 14 inch circle. The dough should be about a half-inch thick.
- Top with pizza sauce and then the shredded mozzarella. Add the peppers, onions, mushroom, sausage, and pepperoni.
- When the pizza is assembled, slide the pizza, which is on the parchment paper, onto a rimless cookie sheet or one that is upside down. This will help you get the pizza to the oven.
- Open the oven and slide the pizza which is still on the parchment paper, from the cookie sheet onto the hot baking stone or hot cookie sheet. I just tug on the edge of the parchment paper with my hands and slide it onto the stone. BE CAREFUL! Your oven is set to 500. It’s super hot, obviously! Make sure the babies are out of the way and be careful when sliding the pizza into the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the top is bubbly and the edges are starting to brown. When the pizza is done, tug the edge of the parchment paper and slide the pizza back onto the cookie sheet you used to transfer it to the oven. Again, be careful!
- Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving hot.
- If you like something else on your pizza, add it! Don’t like one of these toppings? Skip it! The idea is just to add a little of a few things and not too much of all of them. The crust won’t bake if it’s topped too heavily. The perk of making pizza at home, you can customize it how you like.
- No time to make pizza dough? Pick up some dough from your local pizza shop or from the deli of a well-stocked grocery store. Both are great and generally inexpensive options.
- Looking to cut down hands-on time? You can prep the sausage and veggies ahead of time and store them in the fridge a few days until you are ready to make your pizza.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: homemade pizza, easy homemade pizza recipe, easy pizza recipe, healthy pizza recipe, healthy homemade pizza recipe, healthy pizza, easy dinner recipes