This Homemade Whole Wheat Pancakes recipe makes tried and true pancakes that are light, fluffy, and easy to prepare! These pancakes taste great with all kinds of extra ingredients like blueberries and chocolate chips!
- 2 cups flour (all purpose, whole wheat, or a combo of the two)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
- optional blueberries or chocolate chips
- butter or cooking spray for the cooking pan
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a medium mixing bowl and whisk or stir to combine.
- Add the egg, milk, and melted butter or oil to the bowl and stir to combine well.
- the batter should be moderately thin and spread when placed on a hot griddle. You may need add a few tablespoons of milk to reach the desired consistency.
- Place the prepared batter on a well greased preheated skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- If you are adding blueberries (fresh or frozen both work) or chocolate chips, sprinkle a few on the top of the pancake before you flip it over.
- When the pancake bubbles and is light brown on the bottom, flip it over and continue cooking on the other side.
- When the second side is cooked, removed from the skillet and serve right away with favorite toppings such as maple syrup.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- I like to just drop a few chocolate chips or blueberries onto the pancake before flipping it the first time because not all of my kids like the same things (some like one kind, some like plain...). If you are making all of the same kind of pancakes feel free to stir your chocolate chips or blueberries in if you like, being sure to stir the batter before dipping out a new pancake so that they don't all settle to the bottom of the bowl.
- You can use all-purpose, whole wheat flour, or a combo of the two. They all work great just be sure to adjust your milk as needed to get the desired texture and thickness of pancakes.
- You can make your own pancake mix from this recipe! I do this often and it saves time on busy mornings. You can see all of the details on Pancakes from a Homemade Mix here.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole wheat pancakes recipe, whole wheat pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes recipe, blueberry pancakes recipe, homemade pancakes recipe, how to make pancakes from scratch, how to make fluffy pancakes, fluffy pancakes recipe, easy fluffy pancakes recipe, best pancakes recipe