Who doesn’t love a sweet, crumbly graham cracker now and again? This simple Homemade Graham Cracker recipe will give you three different ways to make a delicious snack, or dessert, for the family.
Original Graham Cracker Dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour (I used organic)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes (use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer for best results). Add the honey, milk, and vanilla extract and beat to combine well.
- Add the flours, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture and stir well to combine and to form a thick dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and press it into 2 disks. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- After the 30 minutes remove one disk and roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface until it is 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes (you can also use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the dough into squares if you aren’t worried about cute little shapes). Transfer the cute pieces to a baking sheet lined with parchment or a baking mat (a thin little spatula will help you move the cut crackers to the baking sheet). Use a fork poke the cut crackers a few times.
- Bake the crackers for 10-12 minutes until they are lightly browned. The longer cooking time will lend to a crunchier cracker. Remove from the oven and let cook on the pan for 5 minutes. Place the crackers on a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining dough. Enjoy right away or store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Orange Dark Chocolate Graham Crackers: Make the crackers according to the directions for the original graham cracker recipe. Once the crackers are cool enough to handle melt 1 cup of dark chocolate chips in the microwave. Microwave them in a small bowl for 20 to 30 second intervals, stirring after each time. When the chips are melted add 2-3 drops of orange oil and stir to combine. Dip half of the cooked and cooled original graham crackers in the melted chocolate and lay them on parchment or waxed paper until the chocolate sets.
- Pumpkin Spice Graham Crackers: Add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice to the original graham crackers recipe when you add the flour and make as directed.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make graham crackers, graham cracker recipe, homemade graham cracker recipe, easy graham cracker recipe, classic graham cracker recipe, best graham cracker recipe, graham crackers