This easy Homemade Cornbread with Cheese and Green Onions is a flavorful twist on classic cornbread. Serve it with a big bowl of hearty chili and dig in!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup neutral oil or melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (about 5)
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish well, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine well.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, and add your oil or butter, milk, and egg. Stir just until the mixture comes together and there are only a few lumps remaining.
- Fold in the cheese and green onions.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is a deep golden-brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot.
- You can make it it in a 9-inch round cake pan, square baking dish, or 9-inch cast iron skillet. Bonus! You can also double the recipe and toss it in a 9×13-inch baking pan. You’ll just need to adjust the baking time; a doubled recipe takes 35 to 40 minutes to bake.
- Use yellow cornmeal in this recipe. White works fine, but it just doesn’t look the same. Golden yellow cornbread is a must. Also, don’t try to sub any of the cornmeals used for making tamales – they are a different grind, and the texture doesn’t come out the same.
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread, cornbread recipe, best cornbread recipe, easy cornbread recipe, southern cornbread recipe