Homemade Beeswax Lip Balm is super simple to make when you get a the right ingredients and it’s the perfect gift to make a bunch of and share with all of your friends.
- Shea Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Beeswax (pellets work best here)
- Essential Oil
- Pipettes (optional but handy)
- Large microwave safe container (4-cup glass Pyrex measuring cup is perfect)
- Stirring spoon
1. Add equal parts shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax to a microwave safe container. I did 4 ounces of each and that made 40 tubes plus 8 one-ounce containers, feel free to half that amount for a smaller batch.
2. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each time, until the oils are all melted. The beeswax will melt the slowest. This should take 3 to 6 minutes of microwaving total. You can also use a doubler boiler to melt your ingredients.
3. Add essential oil to your liking. I added 160 drops of grapefruit oil for mine. You will probably want to start with less if using a mint oil. Stir to combine and then test a little on your lips to see if it is to your liking (careful though, the oil is still hot).
4. Use the pipettes to put the lip balm in to the containers.
5. Let the oils set until firm and then replace the lids to the containers. Add labels as desired. Give all the gifts.
- The amount of oil is really going to vary depending on the brand and type that you use. You’ll want it to smell strongly after it has gone into the other oils/waxes. It’s easier to test a little before putting it in the containers than it is to change your mind after.
- As the oil cools it will get harder to pour into the containers, reheat it as needed.
- Clean up right away. If you don’t you’ll probably have to boil some water and pour it over the container you made the lip balm in to get the oil/wax hot enough to dissolve off. Mine didn’t just wash out with a normal washing.
- If you want to make lots of kinds of flavors, divide the melted lip balm into smaller containers and add the essential oils of your choosing.