Crispy, salty, and flavorful, these fun herb and garlic sourdough crackers hit the spot for an easy snack that you can make right at home!
- ½ cup sourdough discard or starter
- 2 tablespoons light oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons finely minced herbs
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the sourdough starter or discard, oil, and water. Use a fork to whisk the mixture until well combined.
- Add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir to combine. The dough will be about as stiff as pie dough. Remove the dough from the bowl, and knead it on the counter to fully incorporate all of the flour.
- Knead in the herbs.
- Place the dough in the bowl, and let it rest. It can rest for as short as 30 minutes or as long as 8 hours; it’s really flexible when it comes to timing.
- When the dough has rested, remove it from the bowl, and divide it in two. Roll one piece of the dough out with a rolling pin on a piece of parchment paper or a baking mat to ¼-inch, even thickness. Gently move the parchment or baking mat onto a large baking sheet.
- Use a pizza cutter and cut the dough into 1- to 1.5-inch squares. Use a fork to prick the center of each square so that the crackers don’t puff up while cooking.
- Repeat with the remaining half of dough on another sheet of parchment or baking mat.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175℃).
- Brush the top of the crackers lightly with a little more oil or water, and sprinkle evenly with coarse salt. The salt really makes them taste great, so don’t be shy using it.
- Bake until the crackers are lightly browned and crispy (and they’ll get crisper as they cool, too), about 25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking to ensure even baking.
- Let the crackers cool, and enjoy right away or store in an airtight container for longer storage.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Sourdough
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sourdough crackers, homemade crackers, sourdough discard crackers, sourdough herb crackers, sourdough discard recipe