Hearty 15 Bean Soup in the Instant Pot made with ham, broth, veggies, and my favorite Hurst's dried beans, perfect with a side of cornbread.[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="QOK9vRuj" upload-date="2019-10-22T04:08:32.000Z" name="Hearty 15 Bean Soup" description="This easy Hearty “15 Bean Soup” recipe is made in the Instant Pot made with ham, broth, veggies, and my favorite Hurst’s dried beans. Perfect with a side of cornbread!" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 3-4 carrots, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag Hurst’s Hambeens 15 Bean Soup (20 ounces), rinsed and sorted
- Seasoning packet that comes with the 15 Bean Soup
- 8 cups broth (chicken or vegetable is best)
- 2 pounds ham hocks, shanks, or leftover ham bone
- salt and pepper to taste
- Select browning/saute to preheat the pressure cooker. Add the olive oil or butter and onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add washed and sorted 15 bean mix to the pot, add the seasoning packet, and the broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the ham hocks, shanks, or ham bone to the pot.
- Lock the lid in place, make sure the vent is set to seal, and select high pressure and 45 minute cook time.
- When the cooking time ends, let the soup rest at pressure (natural pressure release) for 10 minutes and then use the quick pressure release. When the valve drops, remove the lid carefully.
- Remove the ham pieces and bones and place them on a plate. Remove any extra meat and discard the non-edible pieces. Return the ham meat to the pot and stir to combine.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- UPDATE 12/1/19: cook time used to read 35 minutes, after a few comments about cooking time issues (having beans that are too firm) I have increased cooking time to 45 minutes with a 10 minute NPR (for 55 minutes of cooking).
- This is the fastest way to make this recipe. If you have the time, feel free to let the Instant Pot do a "natural pressure release" at the end of the cooking time.
- I tried this recipe with and without the included seasoning packet and I really liked using the seasoning packets. It adds a great smoky flavor. It’s gluten-free, too. If you are sensitive to salt though, try adding only half and adjusting additional salt to your liking.
- You are free to use the pork/ham product of your choice – using a leftover ham bone works great. I just toss my ham bone in a zipper-topped freezer bag after dinner and keep it there until I’m ready to make soup.
- If you'd like to thicken the soup just a bit, you can blend it for just a few seconds with your immersion blender or you can blend 2 cups of the soup in a traditional blender and then return it to the pot. Blended beans are a great natural thickener.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy bean soup, instant pot bean soup, 15 bean soup, easy soup recipe, best instant pot soup