Healthy Slow Cooker Bean and Sausage Soup with Spinach is a mouthful to say and a mouthful of flavor- mushrooms, beans, Italian sausage, and Spinach to liven up the dinner table and fill you up. Plus it is made in the slow cooker, so you don’t have to worry about it all day.
- 8 ounces cooked hot or sweet Italian chicken sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 4–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces whit mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 8 ounces (1 1/4 cups) 15-bean soup mix, flavoring packet discarded, rinsed and picked over
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces (4 cups) baby spinach
- Microwave the sausage, onion, garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Place the onion mixture in your slow cooker. Add the broth, water, mushrooms, dried beans, bay leaves, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until the beans are tender, 9 to 11 hours on low or 6 to 8 hours on high.
- Throw away the bay leaves. Stir in the spinach and let it sit until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve right away.
A 4 to 7 quart slow cooker is the best size for this recipe.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy slow cooker soup recipe, easy bean soup recipe