Remember that one time we went on a crazy road trip to visit my family in Indiana and Kentucky (58 hours in the car with 4 little kids… oh yes we did!)? It was a great adventure and I thought I’d share our favorite healthy road trip snack with you all today.
With that long in the car, we had LOTS of time to snack. I’m normally the type of person who will make a lot of what we are taking, but I was at a conference for 4 days before the trip with only one day at home before we left to get things pack and laundry done. I decided to cut down on stress and went for store-bought snacks for the trip. It was a great decision! We enjoys treats that we don’t normally and I didn’t worry about hand crafting granola bars or fruit on the bottom yogurt cups.
So these are some of the purchased items that we really like. I would consider all of these pretty healthy. They are high on fiber, fat, or protein which are all things that keep you full and happy. Some of these are going to have to go into our normal snack rotation because they are so good! These paired with some fresh fruit (bananas, apples, and plums) and raw vegetables really felt like we were eating like king. Guilt free road trip snacks are the best.
Healthy Road Trip Snacks
1. Fage Yogurt Fage yogurt is a Greek-style yogurt that is thick and creamy. I picked up the Fage 0% Totals and the flavors have Superfoods in them (like blueberry acia or strawberry goji), next time we’ll go for the 2% and see if they are even creamier. The packaging is really fun, the yogurt and the flavoring are separate and you just tip the sweet fruit mixture into the plain yogurt and stir. My kids really like this little detail. These were a big hit for the whole family and made for an easy breakfast on the move.
2. Trader Joe’s Quinoa and Black Bean Tortilla Chips I love all thing tortilla chips, but these are one of my favorite breaks from the usual organic tortilla chips that I get from Costco. They are lightly seasoned (just a hint of garlic and cumin) and have a great crunch. When I’m in the mood for something a little different I go for these. They are also full of fiber which isn’t a bad thing when traveling.
3. Wholly Gaucamole Plain tortilla chips are fine but a little something to dip them in makes for an even better snack. I picked up some Wholly Gaucamole and was so glad I did. I love guacamole and make it at home all of the time. I was a little nervous that I wouldn’t like this as well as fresh homemade gauc but I was not disappointed. It’s perfect! The ingredient list is simple and doesn’t include any preservatives or ingredients that I haven’t heard of. You can also find it in individual servings, perfect for traveling or lunch at the park (and a good way to keep from eating the whole package! Easy portion control.).
4. Sabra Hummus (Roasted Pine Nut is my favorite) My other favorite thing to dip tortilla chips in is Sabra Hummus. It’s just so good! I’m in love with the roasted pine nut flavor right now. Hummus is so full of flavor. It’s also a perfect and portable dip for fresh veggies!
5. Blue Diamond Nut-Thins Another crunchy favorite are these crackers made from nuts (they are gluten free if you are in the market). I’m not sure that I would call them a cracker, but I’m not sure what else you’d call them. Don’t expect a cracker but do expect a crunchy little snack that has a lot of flavor.
7. Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar And what better to go with crackers than delicious cheddar cheese from Cabot Creamery. This cheddar will change your life. The texture is delicious and the flavor is just so yummy. I like that it’s strong because it satisfies my hankerin’ for cheese without me eating a whole pound. They also make a really good Chipotle cheddar and a fun “Everything Bagel” cheddar that are excellent. Good cheese makes any day better. I presliced the pound and stuck it in the little cooler up by my seat. Best idea ever.
6. Stretch Island Fruit Co. Fruit Leather This was our sweet treat. You can’t beat a good fruit leather and this is indeed a really good fruit leather. The ingredient list is short and the flavors are great. These are a favorite with the kids.
8. Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds Have you had the Smokehouse almonds from Blue Diamond? I don’t know what they do to them but they are addicting! These are a great salty snack that really satisfies.
9. Angie’s Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn Hi. My name is Melissa and I’m addicted to popcorn. I was honestly saddened/worried that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy popcorn while on our trip. We eat it multiple times a week (air-popped with butter and salt) and I just love it. It’s super filling and pretty light on calories. I don’t do microwave popcorn, so that option was out, and then my cousin recommended Angie’s Sweet and Salty Kettle Corn. She had picked up a huge bag at Costco for a couple of dollars and loved it. I did the same and was over the moon about it. In fact, I’ve gone back twice and can’t find it! I don’t like old popcorn (the chickens get any popcorn left over night in this house), so I was super excited when it tasted really fresh. The sweet and salty were just right too, just a little of both. This was my favorite snack of the trip. I ate 80% of that huge Costco bag all by myself and wished I had bought a second. Highly recommended!
Now that you know some of my current favorite healthy (and convenient) snacks. What are YOU into at the moment? I always love a good food recommendation and we always need new snack ideas.