Healthy chocolate zucchini muffins are so yummy and make for a perfect snack or lunchtime dessert, made with whole wheat flour, maple syrup, applesauce, grated zucchini, and mini chocolate chips!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine, and make a well in the center.
- Add the egg, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla to the center. Stir to combine well, but don’t over-mix.
- Stir in the zucchini and mini chocolate chips until they are incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the muffins spring back lightly when touched and are no longer gooey in the middle.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for much longer.
- I LOVE these hearty muffins for lunch boxes. You can make them ahead of time, and they store well all week long.
- These make easy snacks, breakfasts, and everything in the middle.
- I love to make a double batch and keep half in the freezer for later. We love these.
- Category: snack, breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: muffin, packed lunch idea, chocolate muffin, zucchini, chocolate zucchini