Healthy Cauliflower Sausage and Kale Soup is the low-carb version of Zuppa Toscana that uses cauliflower in place of the potatoes! This hearty vegetable soup recipe is the delicious but low-calorie meal you’ve been searching for!
- 12 ounces country-style pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3–4 cups bite-sized cauliflower pieces
- 2 cups cream
- 3–4 large kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, over medium high heat cook and crumple the sausage until it is cooked through and no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate, leaving behind the sausage grease. You need about 1 tablespoon of grease in the dutch oven. If you have too much, dump some out. If you don’t have enough, add a little olive oil.
- Return the dutch oven to the heat and add the onion. Cook until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic is fragrant, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and the cauliflower. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat so that it is simmering. Add a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the cream, kale, and the cooked sausage. Cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- You can omit the red pepper flakes, though I find a little spice is delicious in this recipe.
- You can use 2 cans of canned milk or 2 cups of half-and-half if you’d like a lighter soup.
- The amount of salt needed will be determined by how salty your broth and sausage are. Don’t under salt though – it really helps the dish.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy soup recipe, hearty soup recipes, hearty vegetable soup recipes, cauliflower sausage and kale soup, kale soup recipe, sausage soup recipe, homemade vegetable soup recipe, healthy vegetable soup recipe