These Halloween Sugar Cookies are such an easy Halloween food idea! As a lover of sweets, I'm of the firm belief that sugar cookies aren't just for Christmas, and candy isn't just for Halloween! Celebrate this fun (and sometimes spooky) holiday by baking a big batch of these festive sugar cookies with your loved ones this Halloween season!
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- Additional flour as needed and more for rolling out the cookies
- Cream shortening and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time, beating to combine after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla, and beat to combine.
- Next, add dry ingredients, and mix all together. Dough should be tacky without being sticky (you might need to add a little more flour as needed).
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- When you are ready to roll and cut your cookies, divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll it out to 1/2-inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out your cookies and move them to an un-greased cookie sheet. Gather any dough scraps and repeat. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees F. for 7 to 10 minutes. The cookies will still be very light on top and just a little golden-brown on the bottom. Let them cool 5 minutes on the tray before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Decorate with your favorite butter cream frosting.
- Store extras in an airtight container or unfrosted cookies in the freezer for much longer.
- I don't use shortening often (this recipe and pie crust are just about it), but it really helps the cookies to keep their shape. All butter cookies tend to either be a bit crunchy (like a shortbread) or spread when baked.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sugar cookie, cookie recipe, halloween treat, Halloween recipe, halloween recipes, halloween party food idea, easy halloween dessert