This easy 30 minute chicken meal will be a family favorite. You can make a grilled chicken sandwich with pineapple BBQ sauce and pineapple salsa on top in no time!
For the chicken
- 1-2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix (original)
For the Pineapple BBQ Sauce
- 1 package KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix (original)
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
For the Pineapple Salsa
- 3 cups chopped fresh pineapple (core and outside removed)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1 japelano finely chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the chicken, use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to flatten the chicken so that it is uniformly a 1/2 inch thick. You can also cut very large chicken breast in half (like you would to butter fly it, but cut all the way through making two pieces). Your pieces of chicken should be about 5 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Cut accordingly so that they are pretty uniform in size and will fit on a bun nicely once cooked. You'll want as many pieces of chicken as you plan to make sandwiches. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Brush both sides with olive oil. Rub some of the dry KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix (original) on each side of the chicken (You'll use a few teaspoons of the mix total). Prepare a charcoal grill. Place chicken on grill and cook, with lid closed, for 5-8 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Remove from the grill and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. You can brush the chicken with the prepared Pineapple BBQ sauce the last minute or so of cooking if you desire.
- To make the Pineapple BBQ sauce simple stir together the KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix, pineapple juice, and vinegar in a small bowl. Let the sauce sit for at least 10 minutes to thicken up.
- To make the Pineapple Salsa mix together all of the ingredients (pineapple through salt and pepper) in a small bowl. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper accordingly.
- To assemble the sandwiches add some BBQ sauce to both sides of a toasted bun. Add a piece of cooked chicken breast, some pineapple salsa, sliced avocado, and the top of the bun. Enjoy right away.
You can prep the chicken, the salsa, and the BBC sauce ahead of time (up to 3 days in advance). Then the day of the meal all you would have to do is heat the chicken, toast the buns, and assemble the sandwiches. The chicken and pineapple salsa are AMAZING on a bed or romaine lettuce for a delicious healthy simple salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 31.8g
- Sodium: 110.4mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Cholesterol: 82.7mg
Keywords: Chicken sandwich, 30 minute meal, Pineapple Salsa, Weeknight meal