This delicious broccoli macaroni and cheese recipe is a fun take on the comfort food staple – and a tasty way to get more green on your plate! It doesn’t look like your typical mac and cheese with the green color from broccoli, so I like to break this out around Halloween and call it “toxic waste mac and cheese” for something spooky and fun!
- 4 cups macaroni or medium-sized shell noodles (1 pound)
- 2 eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (10 ounces), thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cheddar, shredded (Gruyere or white cheddar work great), about a pound
- 1 cup fresh parmesan, shredded, about 4 ounces
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, stir in noodles, and cook until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs, evaporated milk, thawed broccoli, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the jar of your blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Drain the pasta, and return to the pot. Set the pot over low heat, and stir in the butter until melted.
- Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheddar.
- Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining cheese, until the mixture is hot and creamy, and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away.
- The cheese sauce is a bit soupy right after making. You can either let it stand for 10 minutes before serving or just give your family spoons and serve it in a bowl. The sauce does thicken as it cools and the macaroni absorbs it.
- Feel free to use a different cheese or a combination of different cheeses to change things up a bit. My go-to is always classic sharp cheddar cheese, though.
- You can use different shaped pasta; just be sure to cook it to al dente (slightly undercooked) before draining and adding additional ingredients.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: macaroni and cheese, mac and cheese, halloween dinner idea, broccoli and cheese, pasta dinner, quick dinner idea, halloween recipe, halloween party food idea, easy halloween party food