The base recipe for 8 easy homemade granola bar recipes that come together in a snap. Variations include peanut butter chocolate, M&M, Sweet and Salty, and more![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="mEycisSS" upload-date="2018-04-04T18:37:14.000Z" name="Granola Bar Recipe" description="granola bar recipe" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cups total extra mix-ins (about 1/4 cup of 3 different ingredients such as dried fruits, coconut, chocolate chips, etc. please see the post following the recipe for 8 options)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment or foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place the oats and nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly toasted.
- While the oats are toasting, add the honey, butter, and brown sugar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Let the mixture bubble, while stirring, for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
- Place the nuts and oats in a large bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt to the butter mixture. Pour this mixture over the oat and nut mixture and stir to combine. Add any extra ingredients (except for chocolate) and stir to combine. Make sure none of the oats are dry.
- If you are adding chocolate, wait about 15 minutes for the mixture to cool a bit before adding the chocolate and then stirring to combine.
- Place all of the oat mixture in the prepared pan. Use a rubber spatula or the bottom of a greased measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan. Press it in very firmly, this is what makes the bars stick together.
- Chill the granola bars for at least 2 hours. Lift the bars from the pan using the edges of the foil or parchment and place them on a cutting board. Cut into desired shape/sizes and serve.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. If you are stacking the granola bars place a piece of parchment between the layers to help prevent sticking.
- The nutrition info was calculated with using almonds for the 3/4 of a cup of "mix-ins".
- If you don't want to use nuts, feel free to skip them or replace them with something like shredded coconut.
- You can skip the step where you toast the oats and the nuts but it really makes them next level delicious. I highly recommend it. In a hurry though you are ok to skip it!
- Don't cook it higher than at medium heat, the honey will scorch if you cook it at a higher temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Snack
Keywords: homemade granola bars, healthy granola bars, healthy snacks, granola bars, granola bars recipe, granola bar recipe, homemade granola bars, how to make granola bars