Green bean casserole is a savory holiday side dish with all kinds of big and delicious flavors, and it's totally easy to make day of or ahead of time!
- 3 cans green beans (14.5 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cracker crumbs (we like to use butter round crackers)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the canned green beans, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. When it is melted, add the onion and garlic, and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour, and cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Whisk in salt and then the milk, and cook for one more minute until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the sour cream.
- Add the rinsed green beans to the pan, and gently stir to combine.
- Place the green bean mixture in the bottom of the 2.5-quart baking dish (this can be a 9-inch square, a 9-inch round, or other similar-sized oval dishes).
- Add the cracker crumbs and melted butter to a small bowl, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs over the green bean mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and the cracker crumbs are golden-brown.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green bean casserole, green bean casserole without canned soup