This gingerbread recipe made with Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose flour is absolutely delicious, easy to make, and the perfect festive holiday dessert to share with loved ones by a cozy fire sipping warm mugs of apple cider.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bob’s Red Mill aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very hot water
For the simple vanilla caramel sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- fresh whipped cream , for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. and grease or butter a 9×13 inch baking dish well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add the molasses and egg and stir to combine well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Add the hot water a little at a time while stirring until a soft batter forms, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake springs back lightly when touched.
- To make the vanilla caramel, add the sugar, butter, and heavy whipping cream to a medium sauce pot and place it over medium heat. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 3-5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature with warm vanilla caramel sauce and fresh whipped cream.
- You can make the cake a day ahead of time as needed.
- You can make this cake easier to serve to a crowd by turning it into a “poke cake”. Just poke the top of the cake with a fork all over while warm and then drizzle with top with the warm caramel. When the cake cools or just before serving, top with fresh whipped cream all over the top and then cut and serve.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread cake, caramel cake, Christmas cake