Spooky and sweet, these easy Halloween ghost cupcakes are such a treat to enjoy on this fun holiday, and they couldn’t be easier to make!
- 1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix or from-scratch cake made into cupcakes
- 1 batch White Cloud Icing
- M&M’s or chocolate chips for eyes
- Airhead candy, cut into mouth shapes
- Make your favorite cupcakes (we like chocolate with this frosting), and let them cool.
- Plan on decorating 12 to 18 cupcakes; if you are making 24, I’d double the icing recipe. Once the cupcakes are cool and the icing is prepared, it’s time decorate.
- Use an icing bag with a 2A tip or a plastic freezer bag with one corner tip cut off (cut so that the opening is about a half-inch wide). Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes. Start by making a slow round circle and slowly build up the icing in a circle until the ghost is about three inches tall. You want to pipe the icing on slowly so that it has time to get round and fat as it comes out of the bag. That is what will make the ghost big and tall in the end.
- Add the eyes and a mouth.
- Serve within 24 hours.
- Be sure to add the eyes right after pipping on the icing. The icing sets after a few minutes, and then the M&M’s won’t stick to it.
- Tips on sprucing up a box of cake mix: When using a cake mix, replace the water called for on the box with 1 cup of buttermilk, use 4 eggs instead of the number called for, and use the same amount of oil called for on the box. Just stir those 4 ingredients together, and then bake as you would any other cupcake for 12 minutes. 12 minutes does seem short, but that’s all they needed! The box made slightly less than the standard 24 cupcakes. I got 18 to 20 cupcakes per box.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcakes, frosting, halloween treat, ghost cupcakes, easy halloween dessert, halloween party food idea, easy halloween recipes, halloween cupcakes