Garden Vegetable Pasta, made with all the vegetables that come from a summer garden, with or without meat, makes the perfect easy pasta dinner. Healthy vegetables from your own harvest compliment this pasta recipe so well!
- 1 pound ground meat such a sausage or hamburger (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped or grated
- 1 small yellow summer squash, chopped or grated
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 1 quart home-canned tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- more salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh cooked pasta
- freshly grated Parmesan for serving
- In a large skillet, brown the meat until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain extra grease from the pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook until the squash starts to release it's liquid and then cook for another 5-10 minutes until part of that liquid has cooked off.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and salt. Stir to combine well and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and then serve over hot cooked pasta with grated Parmesan.
- To make this without the meat, simply omit the meat and sub in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to saute the onion and bell pepper in. We really like it both ways. Hot Italian sausage is excellent in it.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: DInner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make garden vegetable pasta, vegetable pasta recipe, homemade vegetable pasta recipe, easy pasta recipe, healthy vegetable pasta recipe, homegrown vegetables and pasta, best vegetable pasta recipe