Soft, fluffy, and perfectly crumbly and moist, this sourdough cornbread recipe creates a lightly tart cornbread with the perfect touch of sweetness and grit.
- 1 cup sourdough starter, discard or fed
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix the sourdough starter, milk, cornmeal, and flour together in a medium mixing bowl. At this point, you can cover the bowl with a clean dish towel and set the mixture aside at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours to help it develop a more sour flavor, or you can go right into adding the other ingredients. It's very flexible and can work with your taste preferences and schedule. Do not let it rest more than 2 hours at room temperature, though.
- When you are ready to move forward with making the cornbread after your chosen timing, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and spray a 9-inch baking dish, cast iron skillet, or a round pie plate well with cooking spray (or butter it well).
- Add the eggs, sugar, salt, and butter to the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda, and stir.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan, and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the hot oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and the middle is cooked through. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving hot with additional butter and honey to taste.
- *You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a 1 cup measuring cup, and then filling the rest of the cup up with milk. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes before using.
- This recipe is very flexible when it comes to timing and if you are using a mature starter or a sourdough starter discard. Using the discard will produce a more sour cornbread, as will a longer resting time.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread, sourdough discard recipe, sourdough cornbread, sourdough cornbread recipe, cornbread recipe