This traditional Teriyaki Beef and Vegetables recipe made with a delicious homemade sauce, is fast, flavorful, and easy to put together for those busy weeknight meals.
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1.5 pounds skirt or flank steak
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 tablespoons light oil, such as canola oil
- 3 green onions chopped and sesame seeds, optional for serving
For the sauce:
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Start cooking the rice according to the package directions.
- Prepare the steak by cutting it into very thin strips against the grain.
- Prepare the vegetables by washing and cutting the broccoli into bite-sized pieces, the bell pepper into thin strips, the zucchini into ¼-inch rounds, and the mushrooms in half.
- Make the sauce by adding the soy sauce, water, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, and cornstarch to a small bowl and whisking well with a fork to combine.
- In a large skillet, wok, or high-sided sauté pan, over medium to medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until hot.
- Add the sliced beef and cook, stirring until the beef browns on the outside, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the undercooked meat and stir to combine, cooking the meat and the vegetables together. Reduce the heat to medium, and add a lid to the pan. Let the meat and vegetables steam in their own juice for 3-5 minutes (if there isn’t much juice or moisture from the meat, add ¼ cup of water before adding the lid).
- Uncover and stir the vegetables and meat and allow any extra moisture to evaporate.
- When the vegetables are cooked tender crisp, stir the sauce again and add it to the pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and then thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and garnish with chopped green onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Serve hot over cooked rice.
- This recipe is super flexible. Feel free to use roughly 4-6 cups of chopped vegetables of your choosing. This is great with carrots, asparagus, or green beans.
- I don’t buy a lot of beef cuts, but flank and skirt steak is one of my favorites. It’s a really tender cut of beef that’s great in dishes like this where you are cutting the beef into thin strips. I use this cut for fajitas and steak tacos, too.
- If your kids don’t do well with mixed dishes like this, you can prepare the beef and sauce separately from the sautéed vegetables. That way everything isn’t mixed together.
- To meal prep this recipe you can cut the steak into strips and store it covered in the fridge up to 3 days before making this dish. You can also wash and chop any vegetables you plan on using and store them covered together in the fridge. You can mix together the sauce and store it covered in the fridge, just stir well before using. Prepping this meal ahead of time will make cooking day much faster.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beef stir fry, beef stir fry recipe, teriyaki beef, teriyaki beef recipe, how to make teriyaki