Quick and easy Taco Zucchini Boats made with a simple taco meat and corn mixture, cheese, and zucchini – all done in about 30 minutes.
- 4 small zucchini, about 6–8 inches long
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- one small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- hot sauce, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini in half from stem to blossom end. Use a spoon to scoop out the inner flesh and seeds, leaving about 1/2 an inch of zucchini shell.
- Place the zucchini, cut side up, in a rimmed baking dish (9×13 inch works well) and place in the hot oven for 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini cook, add the hamburger to a medium skillet over medium-high heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the onion is very tender.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the salsa and corn.
- When the zucchini are done baking, carefully remove from the oven. Distribute the meat mixture evenly among the zucchini.
- Top the stuffed zucchini boats with shredded cheddar.
- Turn your oven to broil and broil the zucchini boats until the cheese is melted and starts to bubble and brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
- Serve right away with optional hot sauce.
- I consider 2 halves a serving size though one half is more realistic if serving children.
- You can save the scooped out zucchini for zucchini bread, to saute with eggs in the morning, or you can even freeze it and throw it in smoothies (you’ll never know it’s there!).
- You can replace the ground beef with ground turkey or chicken if desired.
- You can cut the kernels off of two ears of sweet corn for this recipe. Great for using up leftover corn in the summer.