This is a one pot Skillet Lasagna made with canned tomatoes, sausage, and broken pieces of lasagna noodles all cooked on the stove top. It tastes like your favorite lasagna with half the work and a 1/4 of the time!
- 12–16 ounces ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2–3 cup chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8–9 lasagna noodles (with the ruffled edge) broken into 3 inch pieces (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- In a large skillet or saute pan add the sausage and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often and breaking the sausage into pieces as it cooks.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook the sausage and the onion together in the pan for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the tomato paste and cook until the garlic fragrant, stirring well, about 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through, stirring often to avoid sticking and the noodles clumping. Feel free to add additional chicken broth as need if you need to or to adjust the texture and thickness of the remaining sauce.
- When the noodles are cooked through sprinkle the cheeses over the top and stir to combine.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away with a dollop of riccotta and/or chopped parsley on individual servings if you would like.
- You can use ground breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, spicy sausage, turkey sausage, use what you like or have on hand.
- If you don’t like little chunks of tomato in your sauce then replace the petite diced tomatoes with a second can of crushed tomatoes.
- The lasagna noodles don’t break very evenly most of the time, it’s ok to have inconsistent pieces.
- My kids prefer this dish without a scoop of ricotta in it and I think it’s great with it. I just add it as they like to individual servings. It’s ok to skip it all together too, it’s great with or without it.
- You’ll need to add at least a 1/2 cup additional chicken broth to this recipe if you are using whole wheat pasta.
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: stove top lasagna recipe, stove top lasagna, skillet lasagna, skillet lasagna recipe, one pot lasagana